Way wayyyy back in WSIRN Episode 64, we ran a special episode called The next best thing to reading, in which 15 readers shared how they track their read-book lists, TBRs, and whatever other information interested them in their reading life. So many of those readers, and countless others of you in the comment section, mentioned a little website called Goodreads as an essential tool to organize your book life.
Today on WSIRN, I’m thrilled to be joined by two readers with a unique perspective on summer reading. Suzanne Skyvara, Goodreads VP of Marketing & Editorial, and Danny Feekes, Goodreads Managing Editor, to have an in-depth chat about how star ratings, reviews, and other nuggets of information we share online help connect our fellow readers to their next great read, support the authors we love, and change the way we see the world. As you’ll hear in the episode I have become a much more active Goodreads user in the past year, click here to connect with me there.
Since Suzanne and Danny’s business is all books all the time, we’ll be taking turns in the matchmaking seat today. I’m recommending 3 titles I think they would really enjoy this summer, and they’re returning the favor with 3 books that might just be perfect for me. We went so overboard with book recommendations that we had to cut 5 or 6 books to keep this episode a manageable length!
We’re releasing all those extra recommendations as a bonus episode this Friday for our Patreon supporters, if you want to hear what recommendations ended up on the cutting room floor.
This conversation was a ton of fun, so let’s get to it!
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
• Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner
• The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner
• Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
• So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
• How We Fight For Our Lives by Saeed Jones
• Thick by Tressie McMillan Cottom
♥ A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
♥ Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld
• American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
♥ Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby
• We Are Never Meeting in Real Life by Samantha Irby
• Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed
△ War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
♥ Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard
• Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
• The Boys in the Cave: Deep Inside the Impossible Rescue in Thailand by Matt Gutman
♥ The Lost Man by Jane Harper
♥ A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza
△ Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
• Underland: A Deep Time Journey by Robert Macfarlane
• Here For It: Or, How to save Your Soul in America by R. Eric Thomas
• The Yield by Tara June Winch
♥ The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin
♥ Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn
♥ Beach Read by Emily Henry
• The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix
• One To Watch by Kate Stayman-London
• Daughters of Smoke and Fire by Ava Homa
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Ritual uses high-quality ingredients you can trust — and their sources are out there for the whole world to see because they believe you deserve to know what you’re putting in your body and why. Daily changes can lead to big results, so start small today! Ritual is offering WSIRN listeners 10% off your first three months!
The Great Courses Plus makes it easy to learn new information or skills with courses taught by the world’s best professors and experts. You can learn on your own time, and at your own pace. The Great Courses Plus is offering WSIRN listeners an entire month of unlimited access for FREE!
Simple changes to our daily routine made the week feel special. With Brooklinen towels, every shower feels like a spa treatment. Their plush and fluffy towels feel luxurious, cozy, and soft. It really is the simple comforts that make all the difference. Use promo code READNEXT for 10% off your first order at Brooklinen.com.