Readers, we added a last-minute introduction to today’s podcast about what we do and why we do it, especially in light of the current anguish we’re experiencing in the United States following the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor and subsequent needed protests. We hope you’ll listen.
Today’s guest Elyssa Gould is an academic librarian and “recovering English major,” whose goal is to get caught up on her own backlist while she’s separated from her natural habitat, the library. And you know me, when I hear “English major” my ears perk up. Today we’re shuffling around Elyssa’s 100 or so unread books into a few smaller stacks, for a self-styled literature curriculum that should keep her busy at home for as long as necessary.
I hope that sounds delightful, not daunting, because in my book, book flights are a ton of fun. Let’s get to it!
Let’s get to it!
You can admire Elyssa’s handcrafts at Instagram.com/elyssamakes
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
♥ The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
♥ The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
♥ Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir by Ruth Reichl
▵ Paris In Love by Eloisa James
● Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik
● City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
● The Paris Hours by Alex George
● The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas Pere
● Dream More: Celebrate the Dreamer in You by Dolly Parton
● Felicity by Mary Oliver
● The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions by Emily Freeman
● Writers & Lovers by Lily King
● Blood Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton
● Buttermilk Graffiti: A Chef’s Journey to Discover America’s New Melting-Pot Cuisine by Edward Lee
● Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
● The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel
● The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
● Author Flannery O’Connor (try this collection)
● Author Sylvia Plath (try her Collected Poems)
● Author Sue Monk Kidd (try The Book of Longings)
● Author Barbara Kingsolver (try Unsheltered)
● Author Lisa Ko (try The Leavers)
● Author Anne Lamott (try Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life)
● The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
● Author Eudora Welty (try The Collected Works)
● Florida by Lauren Groff
● Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
● Pantsuit Politics podcast
● WSIRN Ep 43: Fiction FOMO and curing Hamilton hangover, with Sarah Stewart Holland
● @TheUnreadShelf on Instagram
● WSIRN Ep 158: The life-changing magic of clearing your unread shelf with Whitney Conard
● WSIRN Ep 178: The Next Right Thing for your reading life, with Emily Freeman
● Reading is better when it’s done wine tasting style
● WSIRN Ep 7: Books that uplift and inspire, the books that “hook” you, and filling the Brown Girls’ Bookshelf, with Osheta Moore
● WSIRN Ep 186: Finding the book that feels like it was written just for you, with Lamar Giles
● WSIRN Ep 162: The best bad ending you’ll ever read, with Traci Thomas
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Bombas socks are like a hug for your foot, with extra cushioning and a special arch-support system that’s not too tight. And Bombas is committed to giving back with every purchase! June is Pride month, and for every pair of Pride socks you buy, Bombas will donate a pair to someone in need in the LGBTQ+ community through The Ally Coalition. WSIRN listeners get 20% off your first order!
The Great Courses Plus is like a full college catalog, all available on any device, at any time. There’s something for everyone, spanning major areas of study like Literature, Business, and History, as well as hobbies like Yoga and Chess. Best of all, The Great Courses Plus is offering WSIRN listeners an entire month of unlimited access for FREE!
Whether you’re looking to boost your energy levels, support your immune system or address gut health, now’s the perfect time to try Athletic Greens! Athletic Greens is like nutritional insurance for your body, developed from a complex blend of adaptogens for recovery, probiotics and digestive enzymes for gut health, and Vitamin C and zinc citrate for immune support. WSIRN listeners can get 20 FREE daily travel packs with your first purchase!
What do YOU think Elyssa should read next? And have you ever built a book flight from your own shelves? Tell us about it in the comments!