Readers, summer reading is so close you can almost taste it. I’ve been investigating upcoming summer releases for months now, on the lookout for new and notable titles that should be on your summer reading list. Prepping for the Summer Reading Guide brings up an important question — what makes a book a “summer read”? What’s the perfect balance of frothy to grounded, fun to thought-provoking, or relatable to rich-people-problems?
Today I’ve brought in author Jennifer Weiner, proud author of several quintessential summer reads, to discuss her criteria for a great poolside book, the upside-down and backwards season the publishing world is about to have, and her appropriately-titled new book Big Summer.
Let’s get to it!
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
● Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner
● Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner
● Author John McPhee (try The Crofter and the Laird)
● Author Susan Isaacs (try Goldberg Variations)
● American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
● Author Jonathan Kellerman (try The Wedding Guest)
● Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld
● 28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand
● My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell
● Beach Read by Emily Henry
● About the Author by John Colapinto
● Friends and Strangers by J. Courtney Sullivan
● The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan
● The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
● Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Ritual uses vegan-certified, non-GMO, gluten-free, and allergen-free ingredients. Plus, their sources are out there for the whole world to see because they believe you deserve to know what you’re putting in your body and why. Daily changes can lead to big results, so start today — Ritual is offering WSRIN listeners 10% off your first three months!
What’s YOUR recipe for the perfect summer read?